Over the last few years, composite material has become an extremely popular choice for decks. But you may wonder, what exactly makes composite “better” than wood? While each have their own pros and cons including cost, durability, maintenance/labor and lifespan, composite decking remains a top contender. In this blog post, we’ll compare composite vs. wood decking and point out some things to consider before you select your decking material.
At Cinergy Homes and Remodeling, we use Trex composite decking for all of our deck projects. Trex is a composite material that requires no sanding, staining, or painting. A little soap and water or a quick power washing is all the maintenance Trex decking requires! Compared to wood decks that take constant maintenance, Trex composite decking is highly durable and long lasting.
CONS OF WOOD DECKING
- Needs seasonal painting, staining or sealing
- Becomes a safety hazard when it rots, splits and splinters
- Fades and stains easily, showing every spill and scuff
- Insects can cause extensive structural damage
- Contributes to deforestation, cutting down trees that local wildlife depend on for food and shelter
PROS OF COMPOSITE DECKING
- No sanding, staining, or painting
- Easy to clean, just use soap and water
- Fade, stain, scratch, and mold resistant
- Trex composite decking is made of 95% recycled materials
- Comes in a variety of wood-grain patterns and colors for a customized look
Undoubtedly, price is a major deciding factor. The cost of a Trex decking typically runs from $9 to $16 per square foot, whereas wood typically costs anywhere from $2 to $5 per square foot. If you prefer the rich, natural look of real wood and the time and money for maintenance doesn’t bother you, then wood decking is the best option. But, if you want a deck that’s low maintenance and can last nearly twice as long as a wood deck, then composite decking is the clear winner.
Have questions? We’d be happy to assist! We’re currently offering FREE deck estimates. Contact us today to set up your complimentary consultation!